What do I need to know about cookies?
"Cookies" are small text files that are stored on your PC or mobile device when you visit Expeditors websites. We use them to:
- Remember your preferences
- Tailor our sites to your interests
Where do cookies come from?
There are two sources of cookies:
- First party cookies are sent by us to your device. They can be used to remember your preferences when you visit our websites or to maintain your browser connection. In addition, we might use a separate company to analyze how people are using our websites. And this separate company will set their own cookie to do this.
- Third-party cookies are sent by a third-party that provides functionality through our websites, such as video clips. This helps the third-party to remember your preferences when you visit our websites. Expeditors has no control over third party cookies.
How long do cookies stay on your device?
Cookies stay on your device for different periods of time:
- Sessions cookies generally only last while you have your internet browser open. They get deleted from your device when you close your browser e.g., Internet Explorer or Safari.
- Persistent cookies are saved on your computer so, they are not deleted when you close your browser. We use persistent cookies when we need to know who you are for more than one browsing session. For example, we use them to remember your preferences for the next time you visit.
All cookies in the table above have been categorized according to 4 numbered groups – the relevant type numbers are listed in column 1. Please note that cookies can belong to more than one type.
- Strictly Necessary: These cookies are essential in order to enable you to move around Expeditors websites and use their features. Without these cookies, services you have asked for cannot be provided.
- Performance: These cookies collect information about how you use our websites, for instance which pages you go to most often. These cookies do not collect information that identifies you. All information these cookies collect is aggregated and therefore anonymous. It is only used to improve how a website works.
- Functionality: These cookies allow the website to remember choices you make and provide enhanced, more personal features. For example, these cookies can be used to remember and store the last tracking number that you entered when using exp.o. Information these cookies collect may be anonymized and they cannot track your browsing activity on other websites.
- Targeting: Expeditors does not use third-party advertising on our websites, so we do not use targeting cookies for advertising but we use them for gathering analytics and intelligence about our websites. We categorize the following as targeting cookies:
- Gathering analytics and intelligence cookies
- Third Party cookies. The Targeting cookies may also be used on third-party websites and third parties may use them on our websites as follows:
- Expeditors advertisements on non-Expeditors sites – Cookies may be placed on non-Expeditors sites so that when you click on an Expeditors advertisement located on these sites, Expeditors is provided with this information to enable us to measure the effectiveness of our advertising.
How to Manage Cookies
Using our products and services without cookies is also possible. In your browser, you can deactivate the saving of cookies, limit them to particular websites, or set the browser to notify you when a cookie is sent. You can also delete cookies from your PC hard drive at any time (file: "cookies"). Please note that in this case you will have to expect a limited page presentation and limited user guidance.
Most web browsers allow some control of most cookies through the browser settings. To find out more about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set and how to manage and delete them, visit:
All About Cookies
For further EU-specific advice on cookies and the various opt out options available to you, you can also visit the following website:
Your Online Choices
To opt out of being tracked by Google Analytics across all websites, visit:
Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on
Please remember that if you delete your cookies, or use a different browser or computer you will need to set your opt-out status again
Please note that it is not technically possible to detect the Opt-Out if you delete the cookies from your browser.
You can also choose to opt out of some or all of the advertising cookies set on your PC by visiting Network Advertising Initiative (NAI).
Not everyone who visits our site will do so using a web browser. For example, some users will access Expeditors websites or applications using a mobile device. If so, it may not be possible to disable cookies or adjust web browser settings.
Revoke tracking permission
Effective Date: February 1, 2018.